Section: US: Other Academic (Visiting or Temporary)
Location: Cambridge, MA, United States
H — Public Economics
J — Labor and Demographic Economics
L — Industrial Organization
O — Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth
Q — Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
Keywords: Energy Economics, Environmental Policy, Climate Change, Mining, Decarbonization, Energy Transition
Job Market Paper
3 Letters of Reference
MIT CEEPR seeks applications for a motivated postdoctoral associate to assume a position in energy and environmental economics analysis. Will work with Professor Christopher R. Knittel on research related to energy and environmental economics, including topics such as the impact of aircraft noise on real estate values, consumer preferences in transportation, and the value of environmental amenities. Responsibilities may include preparing data for analysis, carrying out data analysis, and presenting research results.
- Recent PhD in Economics (or related discipline) with a clear interest in environmental economics or transportation
- Experience and competency in quantitative analysis, including applied econometrics
- Experience in applied theoretical modeling a plus
- Strong empirical economics research skills; programming experience
- Proficient at statistical software, e.g., STATA, R, Python
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), Strong organizational, time management and problem-solving skills, while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be highly goal-driven and exhibit the ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization
This position is Cambridge, MA. The successful candidate is expected to relocate. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
We welcome people from all walks of life to bring their talent, ideas, and experience to our community. We value diversity and strongly encourage applications from individuals from all identities and backgrounds – like yours. If you want to be part of our exceptional, multicultural, collaborative, and inclusive community, then take a look at this opportunity.
Ph.D. (or equivalent international degree) by start date in economics, finance, and related fields who are interested in studying themes related to energy and environmental economics.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Early application is strongly recommended.
All interested applicants must apply and submit their CV and cover letter on the MIT Careers page here:
In addition, after submitting your materials formally to the MIT HR website, please also email your application with the following PDF file attachments to ceepr@ with a cc to tones@ with the subject line: 2024 MIT Postdoctoral application – [Your name]. All applications must include:
- a brief cover letter including date of availability, suitability and motivation for the role, including your interest in this project, qualifications or related experience, general research/goals statement;
- detailed curriculum vitae (CV);
- Economics job market paper;
- official or unofficial copy of diploma(s)/university certificate(s); and
- contact information including email addresses for three (3) references to support the application.